Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Homeschooling is hard

I am obsessed with whether or not I am doing this "homeschooling" thing right. Am I giving him enough structure? Too much structure? Freedom to make his own conclusions? Skills to learn from his mistakes?

I have to keep reminding myself that education is a cumulative effort. That it is a progression. I need to step outside the present and realize that I am laying a foundation for the next lesson, and not prepping him to take the SATs tomorrow.

This homeschooling thing is hard. But, although I am harrassed by self-doubt, I can already see the difference homeschool has made to my son. He is excited to learn, fully engaged in each activity, and aware of his abilities. Regardless of whether I'm doing it "right" or "wrong," he is flourishing. I just need to teach MYSELF to focus on his success rather than my imagined failures. I'm sure it will get easier....eventually.

0 comments: